Monday, October 26, 2009

A Worthy Donation

Epilepsy is a disease that is close to my heart. I did a fundraiser for Epilepsy research when I was 16 (selling crocheted hats at Colorado State University), my father has been researching it my whole life (and most of his), my grandfather had it after his stroke, and my mother might have a very mild form of it after living with a cyst in her brain.

More people have epilepsy than Parkinson's, cerebral palsy, and multiple sclerosis COMBINED! That's about 3 million Americans, and one third of those people don't respond to treatment - that is ONE MILLION people living with seizures and brain damage!!! SCARY STUFF!


David Axelrod- Obama's senior advisor and right hand man - described Epilepsy as "terrorism of the brain" in yesterday's 60 Minutes episode. The Axelrods and one of my dad's colleagues from Harvard Med School appeared on the program yesterday to discuss Epilepsy. Check it outHERE.

Please take the time to watch it! And if you have any spare change (which I know hardly anyone does right now...) sending it toward the Epilepsy Foundation is a worthy way to spend it.

No comments: