Monday, March 7, 2011

Stitching of Another Kind

I have been crocheting as long as I can remember. I have recently been attempting to improve my knitting skills... and making some serious progress. So what is the next frontier of stitching for me? Sewing. I love clothes- even more than knitwear... and I am learning to become a sewer.

Some can identify perhaps when I say I refer to my sewing machine as either my baby (when she behaves) or my bitch (excuse the language) when she's having a day of constant clogging and tedious re-threading. Up until 2 weeks ago, I'd only used my sewing machine to speed up the making of the dresses I have in spring with crochet tops and fabric bottoms.

BUT I have been perfecting my sewing machine skills making some beautiful costumes for the dance company Samba Fogo for their upcoming performance Fogo Na Cabeca (Fire in the Head). So here comes my shameless plug (because I've been a dancer for even longer than I've been a stitcher)... COME SEE THIS SHOW! It is an amazing blend of the entire Brazilian cultural experience. The entire show has live, high -energy drummers, and the dances are absolutely beautiful from the Orixa dances of African origin and spiritual significance, to Afro-samba, Rio style samba for Carnival, even fire dancing and Capoeira (a totally awesome blend of dance, gymnastics, and martial arts!). Seriously, if you are anywhere in Utah... you will love this show. Soak up the cultural experience (and come see me dance a little). Learn more from the facebook event here. Or come take this super fun workshop!

Now check out the pretty pictures of some costumes I have been working on!





This is just a small taste of the beauty you will see on stage. Come see this show. You will not regret it (and I've been using my sewing machine lots, and most days she does not behave like my baby...)

-S

No comments: