Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Display Head DIY

You can buy those foam heads at Hobby Lobby for fairly cheap... they're nice to have at a craft fair, but pretty darn ugly.  If you read this blog, you know I'm not always so skilled in Mod Podge - ing...  Knit and Crochet is about where my craft skills end.  BUT... had to have a go at making these heads look a little more attractive.  If I can do it, you can too.



All you need is...
-Foam heads ($5-$10 at Hobby Lobby)
-A vintage looking book from a thrift store.
-A container of Mod Podge - I like the Matte (NON-glossy) kind for that vintage look
-An old junky paint brush you don't mind getting Mod Podge all over
-I also like laying out some plastic bags so glue driblets don't get all over the place


1. Rip the Pages out of the book and into various smaller pieces.
2. Paint the back side of the piece you're using, stick to to the head.
3. Paint over the piece especially around the edges, sealing it to the head.
4. Repeat until the head is covered, using smaller pieces around eyes, nose, mouth.
5. Let it dry over night.
6. Boom... pretty display heads.  YAY!

Then try and get all that mucky podge off your fingers before you go back to your pretty yarn.

2 comments:

OnMyMom said...

Thanks! I was searching for a human head, but I like this better!

OnMyMom said...

Thanks! I was searching for a human head, but I like this better!