Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Dip Dye DIY

I want to get into dying some of my projects... but am less than an expert at the art. Here is my brief adventure in simple T-shirt dying... and if I can do it, you can absolutely do it too.


You will need:
-A simple white T-shirt... in cotton.
-A dye pack, purchased at your craft store.
-A big pot type thing.
-A hanger
-Clothespins
-Rubber gloves
-Newspaper
-Timer
-And anything else your dye packet calls for... like warm water and salt.

And the dye process was easy enough...
Mix up your dye according to directions on the packet.
Set up your T-shirt so only the bottom part is dipping in the dye... clothespins are so awesome for this.
I let the bottom part sit in there for 20 minutes. Then, lowered the shirt in a bit further and let it sit for another 20 minutes. Then dipped it even a bit lower for 10 minutes...
Then I washed it out with cold water... and I hear vinegar will help set the color, but didn't try that this go around (maybe next). Now hang it to dry somewhere where the died drips won't ruin anything. And shazam. You're done. Maybe we'll dye something crocheted next time if we're brave enough!





No comments: