Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I tried to make the shoes... and this is what I learned...

After this post on Stitched Up Shoes from Corinne's Craft Closet, I COULD NOT WAIT to try this out...

So here's how I did it on the cheap...

-I have never been much of a wedge wearer, and after having no luck at Arc Thrift or Repeat Boutique (which I love), I turned to Old Faithful... Target. They currently have a very decent selection of big wedge shoes and I found mine on clearance for $15 (SCORE!).

- I found my crochet doilies (I wanted the shoes too badly to take the time to make them... terrible to admit for a crochet-aholic, I know, I know) at Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts. And lucky for me, the store in my town is closing so they can open a bigger more awesome one in a new location next month... all their stuff (what's left) is 50% off... (SCORE AGAIN!).

-Mod Podge you can find at Michael's or Hobby Lobby... you pick. Make sure you get the Mat finish kind... unless you want your shoes to look glossy...

And ta da... Man do I love the crafting community and all those really creative and stylish ladies out there! YOU ROCK!







Some things I learned while doing this project...
- My feet still do not feel that happy in wedges.
- Overdoing the Mod Podge will guarantee that those doilies will stay on there... they will also guarantee that your shoes will become hard as a rock.
- Zippers are really hard to open/close if you get glue on them, so seriously watch out for that, and really don't let it dry on there!
-The least amount of doily pieces the better- cause getting those "seems" to look pretty is really hard.

To be completely truthful, I'm a decent stitcher, but the rest of the crafting world can be hard for me sometimes... as apparent in these shoes... but I'm going to love them and had a blast making them - and that's what it's really about!

Happy Mod Podging!

No comments: