Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Dress Up your Pillow DIY

My room is purple themed as you may remember from THIS POST and THIS POST. But then I found this great duvet cover from Urban Outfitters on sale for $20 that I snatched up to A. incorporate more colors in my room, B. keep me extra warm in my very cold basement bedroom and C. use as an alternative to my MASSIVE Anthropologie quilt that was going to be too big and bulky to take with me on my California Krochet Kids Adventure.

Now I wanted a new cool way to add some extra Orange and Yellow to my purple obsessed bedroom, so I dressed up an old purple pillow I already had and this is how.

You will need:
- 2 colors of yarn.
- A hook in a gauge that matches your yarn - I'm using an F with my worsted weight.
- A pillow - preferably one with a slip cover that can be zipped off.
- Needle and thread in a matching color.

Begin with your first color of yarn (your main color) and make a basic granny square.
Ch 4. Join in a loop with a sl st.
Row 1: Ch 2. Into the center of the ch-4 loop work (3 Dc, Ch 2) 4 times. Join with a sl st into the top of the ch 2 from the beginning of the row.
Row 2: Ch 2. (Ch 2 and skip the 3 Dc, stitch 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc into the ch-2 space of previous row.) 4 times.
Row 3 and all continuing rows... continue in this pattern with Ch 2 over the 3 dc of previous row, and 3 dc into the ch-2 spaces of previous row. Do 2 sets of 3 dc with a ch 2 in between them on each of the corners.

After 5 rows in the first color switch to the second color. I did 3 rows in the second color, and switched again back to the first color. I then did 2 more rows in the first color before moving on to the finishing rows.

Finishing row 1: Ch 1. 1 sc in each dc and ch of previous row. Work and extra sc into the corners of the square. Join with sl st.
Finishing row 2: *Skip the first 2 stitches of the previous row. In the third stitch, work 5 dc. skip the next 2 stitches of the previous row and sl st into the third stitch. Repeat from * around the work to make a scalloped edge.

Cut all your yarn, bind off, and weave in all extra ends.

Use your needle and thread to sew this big granny square onto your pillow, and TA DA! Your pillow is all nice and dressed up! This can easily be done with any granny square pattern, so go ahead and pick your favorite!





Email me with any questions at SansLimitesCrochet@gmail.com. Happy Stitching!!!

No comments: